Friday 5 April 2013

The Seamstress Shop

Here is my surprise, as promised... Guess what we found in our woodshed? We found the sign that used to adorn the Little Blue House! If you've been reading my blog for awhile, you will know that the LBH was a brothel, back during the days of the Gold Rush.

It was operated by Eva Lambert Daniell, the madam, under the auspices of a "seamstress shop." Apparently, seamstress shops were a common euphemism for houses of ill repute.

I was rummaging around in the woodshed, carefully so as not to disturb too many cobwebs and the mouse poop, when I came upon this sign. My family was sitting in the kitchen when I tapped on the window to show them this find. We will be sure to find a place of honour for it after our first couple phases of renovations are complete.

Do you think if we display the sign on our tiny house in Atlin, that people will bring their suits in for repairs?

JT and Shop Sign

No comments:

Post a Comment