We used a product called Lead Out by Blue Bear (formerly Franmar). This is great stuff that when properly applied to lead paint, reacts to convert it to non-hazardous lead sulphide. I'd recommend it to anyone. It was expensive, especially to a Yukoner, but cheaper than going crazy like those poor Romans...
After applying the stripper, we wrapped the house in plastic to let it blister in the sun, as the Violent Femmes would say...
Then we unwrapped one wall at a time, and scraped the paint off. The coved part of the siding was tricky, so my husband suggested spoons. A couple of old ones did the trick. Our arms felt noodle-like the following day.
Almost finished scraping the last wall...
While I started priming and painting the north wall, my husband set to work with the orbital sander and sanding blocks fashioned to fit in the coved siding. Before priming:
After painting the north wall (left side of house) and large front wall:
Jeff and Riley, our Irish Terrier!
That's where we are at now. Our trusty carpenter has just added several new pieces of primed siding and some trim (much of the old corner trim was rotten where it was contacting the earth).
Next, we will paint those bits and the remaining walls, trim, soffits, etc.
I am keen to get this project finished!